Star Wars fans of all ages throughout Asia are gearing up for an event 30 years in the making at CELEBRATION JAPAN, a massive three-day Star Wars party to be held at the Makuhari Messe center from July 19 to July 21.
The festivities commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Japanese release of Star Wars in 1978, and cap off an unprecedented year of global celebrations, which began last May in Los Angeles with Celebration IV, continued in London with Celebration Europe, and now, for the first time ever, is coming to the Tokyo area with STAR WARS CELEBRATION JAPAN.
The three days of Star Wars excitement will also help usher in a new era of Star Wars entertainment that begins in August, with the theatrical release of the first-ever animated Star Wars adventure, Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Fans at CELEBRATION JAPAN will get a glimpse of exclusive moments from the groundbreaking new movie from Star Wars creator George Lucas and Lucasfilm Animation, and will also have a chance to meet the movie’s director, Dave Filoni.
Other highlights of the weekend festival, which will appeal to multiple generations of Star Wars fans and families, include:
Appearances by many celebrities including actors Carrie Fisher (Princess Leia)
and Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker)
, making a rare appearance at a Star Wars fan event;
- Presentation of the acclaimed Vader Project, an art installation that filters the essence of Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith, through the eyes of popular modern artists and designers – including never-before-seen Vader helmets created by well-known Japanese artists;
- An autograph hall, where fans can purchase photos to be autographed by a number of Star Wars actors and celebrities who will be in attendance;
- Spectacular photo backdrops and replica props and sets, where fans can photograph themselves as part of the Star Wars galaxy;
- Costume contests, highlighting the exceptional costuming talent of Star Wars fans in Japan;
- Special “Jedi Training” and a Star Wars “Family Area” for young fans to share the excitement with their parents and relatives;
- A floor filled with exhibitors and dealers who will be selling both new and vintage Star Wars items in every price range.
- An exclusive Star Wars CELEBRATION JAPAN store, where items can be found that aren’t available anywhere else in the galaxy!
CELEBRATION JAPAN is expected to draw thousands of fans from Japan and throughout Asia and the world, highlighting the popularity of the Star Wars movies and the influence they have had on Japanese and Asian popular culture – and the influence Asia and Japan have had on Star Wars.
“Bringing our Star Wars Celebration to Japan is enormously exciting,” said Steve Sansweet, Director of Fan Relations for Lucasfilm Ltd. “We are creating an event that has something for every member of the family, and touches on the unique spirit and enthusiasm that Japanese fans have for the Star Wars Saga.”
Tickets to STAR WARS CELEBRATION JAPAN are on sale now and can be purchased at https://www.celebrationjapan.jp
(Japanese), or at https://www.celebrationjapan.com
(English), where continually updated news on CELEBRATION JAPAN can also be found.