LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment announced today the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game as part of the fifth anniversary celebration for the massively multiplayer game, Star Wars Galaxies. The first release for the online trading card game, Champions of the Force, is scheduled to be released late this summer, following several months filled with in-game anniversary events.
The release of Champions of the Force marks the first ever Star Wars trading card game offered exclusively online. Available only through a valid, active, fully-paid subscription to Star Wars Galaxies, Champions of the Force provides Star Wars Galaxies subscribers an entirely new gameplay experience by combining the challenge of a trading card game with the adventures and community of the massively multiplayer game. For the first time, players can:
- Choose between the light and dark sides of the Force and build their own Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game decks to fight virtual matches for the Rebel or Imperial factions;
- Challenge their skills in story-based solo-play or against other Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game players in epic one-on-one matches, cooperative Heroic Encounters, and official tournaments;
- Find more than 20 “loot” cards in the first release, Champions of the Force that can be redeemed for fantastic virtual items for use within the Star Wars Galaxies massively multiplayer game;
- Adventure in Star Wars Galaxies and collect desirable cards that enhance their virtual trading card game deck.
All Star Wars Galaxies subscribers with valid, active, fully-paid accounts in good standing are scheduled to receive five Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game booster packs per month, included at no additional cost, as part of their valid monthly subscription to the game, providing a simple way for players to quickly and easily build their decks. In addition, all subscribers will be able to purchase booster packs and starter decks through Sony Online Entertainment’s Station Store at www.store.station.sony.com
More information on the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game and its first release, Champions of the Force, can be found at www.StarWarsGalaxies.com/tradingcardgame
In addition to the upcoming release of the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game, LucasArts and Sony Online Entertainment are celebrating the fifth anniversary of Star Wars Galaxies with several in-game events.
Beginning this week and continuing through July 22 in Star Wars Galaxies, players can gather with others to celebrate the fifth anniversary of the game through virtual “Empire Day” festivities. Featuring notable Star Wars characters and events, players of all factions can experience festivities in the cities of Theed and Coronet that include:
- Performances by the Max Rebo Band;
- The debut of two new prominent in-game statues: the Emperor in Theed, and Yoda in Mos Eisley, both accompanied by new vendors to distribute celebratory buffs that enhance the players’ in-game characters;
- Regularly scheduled Imperial parades;
- Appearances by Princess Leia;
- In-game fireworks.
In addition, all Star Wars Galaxies players will receive several in-game items to commemorate the fifth anniversary, as part of their regular subscription to the game:
- A Star Wars Episode V The Empire Strikes Back virtual poster for decorating an in-game home or player structure;
- New, wearable goggles inscribed with a “V,” in honor of the fifth anniversary for use by an in-game character;
- Plus, during the first week of the in-game festivities, community members will have the opportunity to vote for their favorite Star Wars Galaxies Fifth Anniversary Fan Art Contest submissions at www.StarWarsGalaxies.com
. Both the winning Rebel and Imperial fan art submissions may then be added as in-game virtual posters to Star Wars Galaxies in honor of the Fifth Anniversary.
More information about the fifth anniversary celebrations can be found at www.StarWarsGalaxies.com
Anyone wishing to try Star Wars Galaxies can do so at no charge for up to two full weeks through the Star Wars Galaxies 14-Day Trial. This trial includes all the content of the base game, Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided and its first expansion, Star Wars Galaxies: Jump to Lightspeed. Beginning late this summer, the 14-Day Trial will also include access to the Star Wars Galaxies Trading Card Game tutorial. Available by download from www.StarWarsGalaxies.com
, the 14-day trial gives players a chance to meet and fight with or against their favorite Star Wars characters as they explore this massive online universe filled with other Star Wars fans.