concludes it's look back at the events surrounding the release of the films of the Original Trilogy; this week's focus is Return of the Jedi
Noteworthy events of the year 1983 include:
* President Ronald Reagan proposes to develop technology to intercept enemy missiles called Strategic Defense Initiative -- nicknamed "Star Wars."
* An estimated 100 million people watch the controversial TV movie "The Day After" which depicts the aftereffects of nuclear war.
* McDonald's introduces the Chicken McNugget.
* Swatch offer their first watches.
* "M*A*S*H" ends after 10 years on CBS TV, the first longest running TV series ever. Over 125 million Americans tune in to watch the final episode.
*Atari releases Star Wars, a vector graphics-based game based on the popular film franchise. Nintendo releases Mario Bros.
* Sally Ride becomes first American woman in space on the Space Shuttle Challenger.
* Drug Abuse Resistance Education (DARE) program launched in U.S.
* Microsoft Word is first released.
* Tom Brokaw becomes lead anchor for "NBC Nightly News."
* President Ronald Reagan signs a bill creating a federal holiday on the third Monday of every January to honor American civil rights leader Martin Luther King, Jr.
* Cost of a movie ticket was $3.15, while gas was $1.16 a gallon. A first class stamp is .20.
*Top grossing films: Return of the Jedi
, Trading Places
, Superman III
, 48 Hours
, Mr. Mom
, National Lampoon's Vacation
, Jaws 3-D
, and Risky Business
* Vanessa Lynn Williams becomes the first African-American to be crowned Miss America.
* Run DMC releases their debut single "It's Like That"/"Sucker M.C.'s."